Job Description – Office Assistant (2101207)
| Primary Location: Ghana-Accra |
Duration: Fixed term: one year with possibility of extension
Post Number: 1074016
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Regional Office for RAF is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Office Assistant performs a large variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to the Office Associate and receives guidance from the Assistant Director-General / Regional Representative. He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant usually interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine administrative and office support services.
- Arrange appointments for the supervisor, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and respond to routine requests for information;
- Provide office, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences, etc.;
- Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions;
- Respond or draft responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications; use word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports;
- Proofread documents and format texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards;
- Initiate general administrative tasks in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
- Make travel and hotel arrangements and prepare travel authorizations/claims for staff as required;
- Provide assistance in the administrative processing of vacancy announcements and consultants’ contracts;
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports; create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent’s work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of office support services and on the overall output of the work unit
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Three years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Good knowledge of administrative procedures, policies and protocol matters
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Experience in providing secretarial services in an international environment would be an asset
- Working knowledge of French is considered a strong asset
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
• Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
• The length of the appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to extension of appointments
• Selected candidates need to reside within commuting distance from the FAO office. “Commuting distance” means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
• No international benefits will be payable as selected candidates are recruited locally and paid in the local currency of the office location
• Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice
• For additional information visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
How to Apply?
- Company Name FAO
- Job Status full-time
- Closing Date 25 April 2021