We refer to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed between the Ministry of Education (MOE) (first party), the three teacher unions namely
Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT), Coalition of Concerned Teachers Ghana (CCT-GH) (second party) and K.A Technologies Ghana Limited (third party) on November 13, 2020 (Effective Date), for the third party herein known as K.A Technologies Ghana Limited to supply a total of Two Hundred and Eighty Thousand (280,000) pieces of customized laptops together with technical training on the use of the devices and other virtual training
devices in three equal terms within a period of 12months starting from the effective date as stated in the memorandum.
We again refer to schedule 7 of the same memorandum of understanding of which it was agreed between the three parties that, the cost of the 280, 000 laptops is Four Hundred and Thirty-Four Million Ghana Cedis (GH¢434,000,000.00) at a unit cost of One Thousand, Five Hundred and Fifty Ghana Cedis (GH¢1,550.00) including all applicable taxes and charges. Out of this, the parties agreed that, 70% of the unit cost should be borne by the Ministry of Education while the remaining 30% shall be borne by the Teacher Unions.
On 30th November, 2021 an amount of Five Hundred and Nine Ghana Cedis and Fifty Five Pesewas (GH¢509.55) was deducted from the Continuous Professional Development Allowance of all teachers for the intended purpose.
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that, barely after 12months of the deductions, majority of teachers especially Basic School Teachers have not received
the said laptop for which the deductions were made.
Again, the Forty-Four Ghana Cedis and Fifty-Five Pesewas (GH¢44.55) that was deducted in excess and which supposed to be refunded has not been refunded.
By a copy of this letter, we are giving the Ministry of Education, the Three Teacher Union Leaders and K.ATechnologies Ghana Limited up to the 30th of November, 2022
to provide us with the said laptops or refund our monies with interest as well as refund the Forty-Four Ghana Cedis and Fifty-Five Pesewas (GH¢44.55), failure of which we shall embark on daily demonstrations across the country until our demands are met.
We hope this letter would be given the necessary attention it deserves in order to maintain peaceful atmosphere between government and teachers.
OHENE SARFO APPIAH
AGGRIEVED TEACHERS OF GHANA (ATOG)